Frequently Asked Questions

Donate. Be an Annual Member

Sign Up. Get Lagoon News

We will continuously update this page as we work together to make progress in the Lagoon.

Don’t see your question here? Please call the Lagoon House at (321) 725-7775 and chat with one of our friendly crew members.

1. Is the Indian River Lagoon a river, lagoon or estuary?
The Indian River Lagoon is both a lagoon and an estuary, but it is not a river. A lagoon is a shallow body of water separated from a larger body of water (usually the ocean) by a barrier island, sandbar, or coral reef. An estuary is the partially enclosed area where freshwater rivers or streams meet the ocean, resulting in brackish water. Because the Lagoon does not flow with gravity, it cannot be considered a river.
How can I stay current with what the Florida Legislature is doing?

VoteWater and 1,000 Friends of Florida are both great resources to stay up to date with legislature regarding the Indian River Lagoon.

What’s being done to help the Lagoon?

There is so much being done to help the Lagoon! Check your county’s website to stay informed, or visit the Indian River Lagoon National Estuary Program

Would it help to cut inlets in the barrier island to flush the Lagoon?

Besides being prohibitively expensive and displacing people from their homes where an inlet would be cut, the excess of salt water flowing into the newly opened area of the brackish Lagoon can adversely affect many biological communities, even killing salinity-sensitive life. In addition, our Lagoon has very little flow, meaning that the acreage of lagoon which would see positive effects would be relatively small.

Will a seawall protect my property from erosion?

Unfortunately, seawalls can accelerate erosion and loss of sand and beaches, both in front of and adjacent to the wall. They also disrupt natural replenishment of sand, increasing water depth directly beyond the seawall. Seawalls aren’t good for your wallet either, often costing significantly more than living shoreline alternatives.

When can I visit the Lagoon House?
The Ted Moorhead Lagoon House is open to the public Mon.–Sat., 9:00 am–1:00 pm.

What should I do if I see…

Stranded or injured marine life?

Call FWC’s Wildlife Alert toll-free number at (888) 404-3922 and press “7” to connect with an operator.

Injured or sick terrestrial wildlife?

Brevard County — Call Florida Wildlife Hospital at (321) 254-8843. If after-hours and you can safely transport the animal, there are overnight drop boxes to leave the animals in. Staff will be alerted immediately. It is advised to call a wildlife trapper and keep your distance if the animal may carry rabies (bat, otter, coyote, bobcat, skunk, or fox.)

Someone illegally trimming or removing mangrove trees?

Call your local DEP District Office. For Volusia and Brevard counties, call 407-897-4100 , and for Indian River through Martin counties, call 561-681-6600.

A right whale?

Please Report Right Whale Sightings to Blue World Research Institute at 888-979-4253.

Red tide or an algae bloom?

FWC constantly monitors red tide throughout the entire state of Florida. To hear a recording about current red tide conditions, please call 866-300-9399. For blue-green algae blooms, please call DEP’s toll-free Algae Bloom Reporting Hotline at 855-305-3903.

A fish kill?

Please call FWC’s Fish and Wildlife Health Group at 1-800-636-0511.

Boaters polluting, harassing wildlife, illegally fishing, or breaking other laws?

Please call FWC’s Wildlife Alert at 888-404-3922, or text 847411 with keyword “FWC” and information about the violation.